Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

After These Messages...

Hello everyone! I know I left you all hanging a while back. I'm still in the middle of changing up how I do stuff around here. The most prominent change will be that I'll have a new PC in my hands.

I already have it built, with pics and everything. That'll be up when I confirm that the computer is working...which it isn't yet... completely. I'm having random and differing blue screens that, so far, tell me nothing of what the actual problem is. A list of the BSOD bug check screens and their driver sources so far:

  • CACHE_MANAGER | ntoskrnl.exe
  • NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM | Ntfs.sys
  • BAD_POOL_HEADER | fileinfo.sys
  • BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER | USBPORT.SYS
  • MEMORY_MANAGEMENT | ntoskrnl.exe
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION | Ntfs.sys
  • *New* SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION | atikmdag.sys
  • *New* BAD_POOL_HEADER | ntoskrnl.exe
  • *New* MEMORY_MANAGEMENT ntoskrnl.exe
  • *New* BAD_POOL_CALLER | ntoskrnl.exe
...Yeah. Now for a list of stuff that I've tried to remedy the situation:
  • Ran MemTest-86 on my ram, in sets of 2 and all 4 sticks for several cycles; no errors.
  • Ran Samsung's HDD diagnostic tool; no errors.
  • Updated the Video Card driver, though I'm not sure if this'll have any influence on the issue considering what caused the blue screen.
  • Updated the Motherboard BIOS.
  • Updated several other drivers involving Realtek (Audio, LAN, etc.). Still not sure if I've gotten all of my drivers updated. Is there a program that can help out with this?
  • Moved locations. There's no outside power loss.
If I get another blue screen, I'll update this post. I'm half-hoping it's the fact that I'm using 64-bit Windows 7, and a reinstall will fix the issue. If that's not the issue, though, that's another 30 minutes I'd have wasted, so I'd like to find out if it's actually a hardware issue so I can prepare to return some of the hardware when I get back to my dorm.

Oh, and so that everyone knows my hardware specs:
  • GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
  • GeIL Value PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Desktop Memory Model GVP34GB1333C9DC x2 
    • [8GB of RAM] (Aw, the price for this RAM just went down!)
  • Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply 
    • (Could it be that my Power Supply isn't powerful enough? I'm pretty sure my components are under the threshold.)
  • AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX
  • ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
  • Samsung Internal Half Height DVD-W Supermulti SATA 22X Lightscribe
  • Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive
  • All inside a NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Update: Just now added 4 more BSODS, all occurring today. All of them are referring to the kernel. So, gonna reinstall the OS and see if this isn't the magic cure-all solution. I just installed Civ 4, too...

FINAL Update (Hopefully): Reinstalled Windows 7. I still got a BSOD or two. Thankfully, I came across someone who told me about Memtest86+. Used it, and found out exactly which stick was messing up. I'm running on 4GB right now, but so far I've only had one screwup occur, and it wasn't a BSOD. I think a program just froze. No issues beyond that, and it has been running for quite a time since without one.

I'll give myself one more week or so to get stuff together; I'm in another semester of classes, and this one's gonna be tricky. Updates kick off once again in February!

1 comment:

Average Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.