Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Games Time Forgot: Hypersonix Xtreme

I'm kinda ripping into Destructoid's segment "Games Time Forgot" on this one...

Ok, I'm totally biting off them, but hear me out! I have opinions too, ya know!

I'm browsing through some of my old games, just kinda picking through them, organizing them, I hadn't done it in a while. I just happen to come across this one, and a little smirk passes on my face. Hypersonic Xtreme.



This game is way past its prime, being one of the early-generation PS2 games, and it obviously rips on Wipeout quite a bit. The first time I played this game was on a whim rental at Blockbuster for its description on the back of the game case, most notably two words: Track Editor.



I am a real sucker for customization of anything. You may know that already from my LittleBigPlanet backing a ways back. If I could create something in-game and say "Yeah...I made that." most likely I rented it or played a demo of it. I never really bought them though, either because the game never really interested me, I didn't have the cash, or (more often than not) the game sucked. Dungeon Maker games sucked unless you spent days making the games, and even then it wasn't even close to some of the lesser known PS2 RPGs (not to mention most RPGs bore me). Fighter Maker games really sucked...I've never seen such choppy game-play in any PS2 title, plus the customization never really was that great considering. Now I will admit that I was actually impressed with Soul Calibur 3's Create-A-Character modes, but the game was too difficult to play though and unlock all of the items myself, so I never actually bought it. Tony Hawk's Underground 2, I did buy, and I loved it. Wait, I'm rambling again. BACK TO THE POINT.


Now, the game is Budget to the Xtreme (horrible pun, will never happen again...maybe). It released for $9.99. This would be the equivalent to a PSN release today, I believe, and it suits it. The game tries to be Wipeout, but the textures are bland and choppy, the music is generic Electronic, the sound effects are stunted...Hell, the gameplay can get infinitly repetitive at times. The game's major saving grace, though, is it's main feature: The Track Editor.



Considering how old the game is, I'm about 12 years old playing though it. I could make tracks easily. I made so many tracks, I ran out of space on the memory card! You can set tracks up for "Point A to Point B" or Lap tracks, you can add jumps, invisible tracks, loops, and several other things too, if you get creative. Thing is, racing on the tracks, like I said, can get repetitive after about the 10th time...In which case I made a new track and raced on that 10 times, or I added more to the track I had been working on. I loved seeing what the engine could pull off, or what I could make the engine do that it wasn't supposed to. There are definite glitches in the engine, but for some reason, I looked over them. I still look over them to this day.



The track editor has an addictive charm you don't see in many games anymore. The point being that you can make your own levels. I think LBP is the only game that still emphasizes on level creation in this gaming generation, and by that I mean levels that can be easily made (meaning I'm not including UT3 level creation). Not to mention that it wasn't trying to be an Ace title. How many games can you list off the top of your head that came on a disk and cost $10 to purchase New? You can still find this game for $2-3 in bargin bins, which is honestly a bit surprising to me...I never expected Majesco to produce enough of this game to still be in the used market this long. Or maybe it's just because no one wants them. A bit disappointing, really, It seemed like a good game for kids that like racing games.


Well, whatever. I'm never selling this guy, still got a bit of a hold on me...I couldn't get anything for it anyway, but still...

No comments: