Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

Game to Try - Cavestory


I say try instead of buy because technically you can't buy this game. Cavestory is a side-scrooling adventure game developed by Daisuke Amaya, AKA Pixel, over the course of 5 years. That's a load of effort, and it shows. It's been ported from Windows to OSX, Linux, and apparently even the Amiga, but I've gotten hold of an English-translated port to the PSP. Glorious, let me tell ya.

The game starts out with you, a robotic soldier with no memory, stuck underground. You wander around a bit and pick up a pistol. Then you start shooting anything that moves. Even though its graphics look 8-bit, the gameplay is actually quite fluid responsive, and looks the part as well. The environments all look and play differently from one another, and there are quite a selection of creatures to fight against. Your character levels up, and you pick up new weapons that can each be powered up via enemy-dropped objects.


The storyline developed, however, is quite expansive for such a game as this. I won't spoil the plot for you, that's part of the fun of the game, but know that there are multiple endings. I knew of them from when I started playing, but I just found out a couple of days ago that the ending I got wasn't the "best" one. Now I have to play through it again, but I want to. The replay value is definetly there.

Download it, play it, play it again. It's free, dammit! I feel like it could have been a bit longer, and personally I feel that co-op could have been an option for a game like this, but maybe in a sequel. One can hope. I really can't give it a rating like a game you'd actually have to buy, it just wouldn't be fair. You can find the English translation here.

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

No comments: