Pages

Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy Belated Turkey Day!

I've been sleeping way too much lately. I guess that's just me enjoying my 5 days from school. I finally got some more sprites out of the way, but I'm still not done with Sniper Joe yet, and no other characters are finished. I still have no story for it, eitherImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

I'm kinda spread out over everything right now. I'm working on my christmas list, while working on my desktop, righting this post, and just last night I finished Indigo Prophecy when I rented it Tuesday. Before that, I beat Path of Neo, my clan's thinking about some Counter-Strike gaming, and I want to get back to all of my PC games, including Maplestory. Trying to beat Kingdom Hears again as well, and we're doing shopping tomorrowImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

If I have time, I'll work on a Path of Neo reviewImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

OK, that Soul Caliber III review:

Graphics: These are some of the cleanest graphics I've seen on Playstation 2, period. Every detail is shiny and detailed. There are a lot of differences between the characters besides the weapons they use. Speaking of the weapons, once again, beautiful. Expected from previous SC games, but even the shop characters were unique. There's even an option to change the colors of the main character's costumes. Ingenious. The Custom Character story mode's models were detailed too, considering how small and insignificant they were.
[5 out of 5]

Sound: Battle-wise, the weapon clashings were perfect with every hit, deflect, and counter. Voices, however...well, they were great considering it's a fighting game. However, definetly not the best. I'm just glad they focused on a lot more things than the voices. There just wasn't enough Create-a-Character voices, though. There were 4 per gender, which means any characters not a part of the main cast sounded pretty much the same. However bad the English was (there were just too many corney puns), I got used to it, so the Japanese didn't do it for me (had I used Japanese instead, it'd probably be visa versa).
[4 out of 5]

Gameplay: Versus was fantastic. Playing against another person just seemed so natural, as it is in many fighting games for me. This just fitted perfectly, as it should. The whole parrying thing was never my "cup of tea", though. Making any attempts at it only got me killed, so I lost a lot of the experience with what seemed to be a key tactic in the game. I always liked any Creating modes, whether it's tracks, people, moves, or designs on clothing. I just wish you didn't have to unlock every single piece of clothing through the single player games. Which brings me to my temper from last post. If there was ever a game where I think my heart would burst from high blood pressure, it's this game. The difficulty level is through the charts! All I wanted was to unlock stuff for my custom character, but it was such a chore! The Tales of Souls mode was understandably difficult (it's pretty much the same for all 3D fighting games), but that RTS emulator was too extreme. Pretty much, if you didn't want to lose, you had to personally fight every single character and beat them, because they were always stronger than you, so you can't beat them on the field. What's the point of the field, then? Not to mention your level 10-20 guy or girl barely has a chance against the level 30 characters, just because they dodge and block every attack and then proceed to kick your ass across the floor and off the stage. Why did my level 15 Monk have to fight a level 60 SC Main Character (OK, he didn't have to, but if you want to unlock everything, you pretty much have to)? The mini-games seemed a bit pointless, but fighting a giant statue is always fun...
[4 out of 5]

All in all, get this game if you can handle the difficulty and you have friends to play against. I may be a bit biased because of my suckiness in the game, but it's still fun. Don't give it to a new person for Christmas, though, as they may throw it in the air and shoot it with a shotgun after playing for two days. I'll stick with my 2D fighters, thanksImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Soul Caliber III (PS2): 4 out of 5

No comments: